Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Tech at the Table: Hi or Low?

I will admit that I was a slow adapter to the use of computers at the game table. In high school, I was the primary owner of “The Library”—our group’s collection of gaming books. Each time we got together for game, I brought the bulk of them to each game. Once I moved out and had my own place, I could host the games there and the library could grow beyond what would be feasible for me to pack up and carry on a weekly basis.

The most frustrating part of a physical book was trying to track down specific rules. You could guarantee the game would come to a screeching halt, as players were trying to remember which book the rule came from. Admittedly, if you are only using the core books for any particular game, this might be easy enough. Still, there is nothing worse than stopping the game to find a specific rule.

The thing that really changed gaming for me was the laptop and my external hard drive. Between the two of them, I have been able to radically cut down on the number of books that are cluttering the table (or that I need to carry with me). I have invested a pretty good chunk of money changing out my hard copy game books for digital versions, thanks to sites like DriveThruRPG. Most companies make their PDFs searchable, which means a simple CTRL+F and you can search the whole document and have it in no time.

Beyond the digital library, I also like the laptop for a number of other reasons. I can keep all of my game notes in one place. I usually have my digital notes set up through OneNote, with individual “notebooks” for each game and sections for each player/character. This lets me quickly make notes of how they are reacting to individual storylines, short-term and long-term goals, enemies they acquire, as well as any other little tidbits that might be usable in future chapters.

Another useful tool I use is a simple Excel spreadsheet.  I usually have one tab set up to handle combat, keeping track of initiative and quick reference information for NPCs, and a running tabulation of XP earned for the session. When I do my initial prep work for the campaign, I will also set up a tab t
hat has a set of random names, and a few random generators for race, class, gender for NPCs and another tab to let me keep track of any NPCs I had to generate and which PC they are attached to for ease of reference. Especially given the number of times my players like to go off the beaten path of an adventure, this lets me quickly provide them some defined people within the game world they can interact with and gives the game a bit more life.

I also use instant messaging with my players. This has eliminated note passing and allows me to copy and paste their notes and ideas directly to their notebook pages. Between game sessions, I also use instant messaging to conduct one-on-one sessions with my players and plan for any activities they might be interested in doing if they will be absent from a game. I can keep annotated transcripts of these with the rest of their character information as well and try to weave pieces of these side stories into the main narrative when the opportunity arises.

With sites like Roll20, we have also been able to use the computer to connect with players that would otherwise be unable to join. Additionally, we have also made use of Roll20 even with all of the players in the same room, using a projector to put the game map up on a wall, instead of drawing it on a map pad. The one drawback I found with Roll20 is making sure that all of the players are familiar with how to use the built in character sheets and the various macros the system supports for dice rolling and use of special powers. I imagine, however, once everyone is comfortable with the controls, this platform will meet many needs for groups.

I will be the first to admit, though, that the game can suffer with so much tech at the table. With access to instant messenger, you might lose a player to social media. Or another might disappear into a book. I know I have been guilty during sessions as a player of doing my homework during the game if I am not getting engaged by what is happening. Even if you limit access to computers, the ubiquitous cellphone presents many of the same problems.

Like most of my recommendations, I would talk it over with your players to see how much, or how little, tech you really need to have to make the game work for everyone. While it can be great to be able to have some ambiance-enhancing music playing from your machine, there is nothing more distracting than hearing the constant PING of an instant messaging program going off. And as wonderful as it is to have a library of hundreds of books accessible at any time, it can also lead to player disconnect. Plus, there is the making sure you have enough space for any maps, minis, props, food and drink, etc. on the table.

If you have enough space, I would recommend the GM have a computer. There are generally more Pros to this decision than Cons. From there, I would really consider what do your players need to have access to in order to facilitate easy game play? Now that most folks have smartphones, instant messaging apps are easy enough to come by, as are a number of apps for various games. This can help eliminate the clutter and help your players stay engaged in the game.

I have also been in period games where GMs have banned players from having anything other than their dice, character sheet, and a pencil with them. Having been a player in this style set up, make sure that you are watching your players for signs of boredom. I know that I was emoting pretty heavily, by repeatedly building towers with my dice, and my GM was oblivious of it. The benefit to not having any tech in front of your players is that it should make it very easy to watch their body language. In order for this to be a benefit, though, you have to be willing to look up from your screen and engage with your players.


What type of tech set up do you use in your home games? Have you run into any disasters in game because of too much, or too little, tech available? Share your experiences in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment